Thursday, September 28, 2017

Football, Yoga & Beginner's Mind

I have been trying to jump back from crow pose for years. I have built up my arm strength. My core is ready. I can successfully do the pose itself but still have not been able to jump back to plank from crow. I watch other yogis do it with such ease and “I think I am strong. I can do that.” Over and over I have tried through the years and have never been able to do it.

Until today.

Today I watched a video that gave me some simple tips I hadn’t learned before. The three tips were to press my finger tips into the mat, so much so that they become white in color. The second tip was to look forward and not down or back as I had been doing. And the third tip was to expel an audible exhale as I sent my legs backwards to plank.  Boom! That was all I needed. I got it on the first try. It was thrilling, but then these kinds of things make me happy. :)

Sometimes pure brute strength is not enough to achieve a goal. Sometimes we need a fresh new way of thinking to get there. It takes beginner’s mind. 

Beginner’s mind is a concept that comes from the Zen tradition. It means having an attitude of openness, eagerness, and freedom from preconceptions when approaching anything. Beginner’s mind is actually the space where the mind does not know what to do. It is that delicious state when we are sure of nothing, yet completely fearless, totally available to the moment.

This morning my husband asked a question that touched me to my core. He asked, “What can I do about this football thing?” Now, I could give two tiddly winks about football but it means a lot to him. He’s a guy’s guy. He has season tickets to our local team, the Baltimore Ravens. He is also a vet. His father served in Viet Nam and Korea. His sisters were also in the military. When it comes to racism, he is the most intolerant person I know. He will firmly stand up to anyone who makes a racist comment. It's a core principle that he lives by and it’s one of the first things I loved about him when we started dating back in college.

Several years back I interviewed Hawah Ever on the Happy Healthy You! podcast and I asked the same question of him. I honestly wanted to know what a regular white suburban mom could do to help put an end the insanity of racism. 

Listen to the podcast. There are no easy answers. But asking questions can be a place to start. Also, taking action by supporting the efforts of people like Hawah or Becca Stevens, founder of Magdalene House, and so many others.

Perhaps adopting a beginner’s mind is the answer. Let’s get back to that space of openness. Clearly, we don’t know what to do. Which can be a good thing. 

What I do know is that love is always the highest and best choice. And that it's up to each of us to examine the way we live our lives to make sure we're doing all we can to lift one another. And that to achieve anything great it does require courage and strength.


A rising tide lifts all boats. ~~John F. Kennedy


Yet, what I learned this morning as I jumped back to chaturanga from crow for the very first time was that I wasn’t sure what I was doing when I started.  So I had to let go of old ideas of how to jump back. When I did, that’s when the magic happened.

We’re not going to magically love one another and treat each other with the respect and dignity we all deserve overnight. (Although it would be nice if we could). But with practice and beginners mind, we can let go of tired old ways of relating to one another that don’t serve the highest good for any of us.

And then maybe we can just enjoy the game. Or yoga.



Peace Love and Namaste,
Connie

Join me for a yoga class:
http://conniebowman.com/yoga.php

No comments:

Why are There so Many Songs About Rainbows?

Link to Lectionary Page for Lent 1, Year B Let us pray:  Gracious and loving God, creator of all things colorful and mysterious, seen and un...