Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Awesome Power of Our Words

The Awesome Power of Our Words

In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God.    
James 1:1 

Words are alive, cut them and they bleed.      
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care, for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or evil.    
Buddha 

Death and life are in the power of the tongue.     
Proverbs 18:21
Look, I know I say the word “awesome” a lot in my podcasts. It’s a conscious choice. I love the word. I first heard it when my kids were younger and they were describing something they loved.  They often dragged it out (awwwsooomme!) when they really liked something.

I loved the way I felt when I heard them describe something using that adjective. It gave my soul a little lift to hear them passionately talk about their interests, their friends, anything. It raised the vibration in the room.
(Remember the Beach Boys song “Good Vibrations”?)

Now that they are older, I don’t hear the word as much and I kind of miss it. So I have taken to using it myself to talk about things that really excite me in a positive way. Synonyms for awesome are equally auspicious: breathtaking, magnificent, wonderful, amazing, stunning, impressive… They are all nice, but none of them quite reach the heights of awesome.  For me, awesome is just…well, awesome!

Here’s an excerpt from The Gift of Language and Your Conscious Choice for Change by Michelle Arbeau:

Regardless of the language we speak, words connect us on a far deeper level than just getting our point across. Each word carries its own energetic vibration and can have a profound impact on the quality of our lives. The gift of language allows us to become active creators from the moment we utter our first word. When a child transitions from vocalizing sounds to speaking words, it is a celebrated event. More than just a developmental milestone, it marks the day when a child enters the realm of conscious creation. Conscious choice replaces natural instincts, and the child begins the journey of creating his or her destiny.

The words we choose are so important and can raise or lower the vibration of the room in a second. Think about the words love, joy, peace, compassion, courage. Just the thought of those words evokes a positive wave that permeates the air. Thinking about these words is good, but saying them is a powerful way to shift the energy for the better.


I am partial to the word awesome, as you know if you listen to my podcasts. I hope you will think about the words you are choosing on a regular basis and maybe amp them up a bit. This world could use a little more awesomeoness. What do you say?

No comments:

Why are There so Many Songs About Rainbows?

Link to Lectionary Page for Lent 1, Year B Let us pray:  Gracious and loving God, creator of all things colorful and mysterious, seen and un...